Meat and Seafood Transport Vehicles
A meat transport vehicle is a vehicle used for transporting meat and/or seafood for human consumption.
Under the Meat Industry Act 1993, all vehicles transporting meat and/or seafood for human consumption must be licensed by PrimeSafe.
There are three ways to apply for a PrimeSafe licence:
- Fill out the application form in the PrimeSafe Licensee Portal by following the instructions in the How to use the Licensee Portal link below; or
- Download the application form, print, scan and email it to email@example.com; or
- Fill in the form and post to PrimeSafe, PO Box 2057, South Melbourne Vic 3205.
MTV Renewals and Inspections 2023
Meat Transport Vehicles (MTV) licensees are encourage to renew their licence by 26 May 2023 to allow time for PrimeSafe to mail out the new MTV labels that are required to be placed on the vehicles by 30 June 2023.
All MTVs and fleets must be inspected as part of the licence renewal. For further information regarding construction inspections please click here.
For the information on the approved locations for Meat Transport Vehicle Inspection Locations 2023. Please click below.
*Note: Inspections will also be conducted at the PrimeSafe office in South Melbourne during the 2023 renewal period. Click on this link to book your inspection.
What if I want to sell at a farmers' market?
At present, there is no licence category that permits the roadside sale of fresh meat and meat products from a vehicle or purpose built mobile facility. Local councils are responsible for the regulatory management of farmers’ markets and roadside in Victoria. Your business may need a PrimeSafe Meat Transport Vehicle licence. Click for further information.
PrimeSafe have produced a brochure on meat transport vehicle applications and renewals in English, Chinese Simplified, Vietnamese and Arabic.
- PrimeSafe Meat Transport Vehicles (English)
- PrimeSafe Meat Transport Vehicles (Chinese Simplified)
- PrimeSafe Meat Transport Vehicles (Vietnamese)
- PrimeSafe Meat Transport Vehicles (Arabic)