Aquaculture Licences

What you need to know about Aquaculture licences.


  • The law requires your business to have a licence to grow and harvest seafood to sell.
  • An Aquaculture licence is required for seafood businesses that grow and harvest seafood for human consumption.
  • There are three different Aquaculture licenses. The seafood species you grow and harvest determines which licence you need.

What Aquaculture licence to get

You only need one licence when you harvest seafood under an Aquaculture licence.

Get an Abalone licence if you are growing and harvesting abalone. You can also harvest blue mussels and other shellfish, and fin fish with this licence.

Get a Blue Mussels and Other Shellfish licence if you are growing and harvesting blue mussels or other shellfish. You can also harvest fin fish with this licence but you cannot harvest abalone.

Get a Fin Fish licence if you are growing and harvesting fin fish only.  You cannot harvest any other species with this licence.

Your licence allows you to:

  • process seafood to preserve it so that it is safe to sell
  • sell seafood you have harvested from the vessel at the point of unloading.

You do NOT need a PrimeSafe licence if you only handle the following species LIVE:

  • fin fish
  • abalone
  • rock lobsters
  • yabbies

You cannot process seafood other than to preserve it for sale. To process seafood get a Seafood Processing Facility licence.

Standards and guidelines that apply

Victorian Shellfish Quality Assurance Program (VSQAP)

This manual covers the food standards for businesses harvesting bivalve shellfish for human consumption.