How to apply for a Wildcatch licence
To obtain a PrimeSafe wildcatch licence, you will need to:
- Ensure that your vessel complies with the construction requirements of the relevant standard.
- Develop a food safety program for your seafood business that complies with the relevant standard.
- Hold a valid Fisheries Victoria or Commonwealth Fisheries licence.
- Submit a licence application including written confirmation of a food safety program together with the applicable fee.
Note: An application will be returned where the applicant does not hold a valid fishery licence.
When should I apply?
Applications for a PrimeSafe licence should be submitted 10 days prior to the date you wish to commence operations.
There are three ways to apply for a PrimeSafe licence:
- Fill out the application form in the PrimeSafe Licensee Portal by following the instructions in the How to use the Licensee Portal link below; or
- Download the application form, print, scan and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- Fill in the form at the PrimeSafe office.
How often do I need to renew my licence?
The licence period for a wildcatch licence is 1 July to 30 June. That means you must renew your wildcatch licence by 30 June each year for it to remain current and you do not operate unlicensed.
Any licensee who fails to renew their licence by 30 June may required to pay an application fee in addition to the annual renewal fee.
How do I renew my licence?
PrimeSafe will send you a notice to renew your licence around the middle of May.
There are two ways to renew a PrimeSafe licence:
- Via the PrimeSafe Licensee Portal and paying by credit card or BPAY.
- By filling in the printed form and paying by credit card over the phone or at the PrimeSafe office.
It is important that you renew you renew your licence by 30 June each year to ensure that your licence remains current and you do not operate unlicensed.
Name of Applicant and Nominated Operator
You will need to nominate a name under which the licence will be held at the time of application. The applicant can either be you, a partnership or a company. PrimeSafe cannot accept business or trading names as the applicant.
You will also need to nominate an operator of your facility. The operator holds an important position and has responsibility for the operations of the facility.
- Where the applicant is a company, the operator must be an officer of the company.
- Where the applicant is a partnership, the operator must be a partner.
- Where the applicant is a person, the operator must be that person.
Construction Inspection and Food Safety Program Review
You will need to ensure that your vessel complies with the construction requirements of the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code prior to submitting an application. You will also need to ensure that you have developed a food safety program that complies with the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.
Once your application has been processed, a PrimeSafe Licensing Manager will contact you to arrange a suitable time for an inspection of your vessel and a review of your food safety program to confirm compliance with the relevant standard.
An inspection of your vessel will not be conducted until PrimeSafe has received advice confirming that you have developed a food safety program for your seafood business.
Where confirmation of a food safety program has not been received within 30 days of receipt of your application, the application will be returned.
Where your vessel and food safety program complies with the requirements of the relevant standard, you may commence operations immediately.
Where your vessel and/or food safety program does not comply with the requirements of the relevant standard, you will be given 30 days to rectify any outstanding issues. The PrimeSafe Licensing Manager will provide you with details of any outstanding issues in writing. A further inspection of your vessel or review of your food safety program may be required depending on the severity of the non-conformance.
Where you are unable to rectify all outstanding issues within 30 days from the initial inspection, your application will be cancelled. The annual fee will be refunded and the application fee forfeited.
Issue of Licence
You will be issued the following documents following confirmation that your vessel and food safety program complies with the requirements of the relevant standard.
- Licence certificate
- Licence conditions
- PrimeSafe Licensee Charter
It is important that you clearly understand the conditions of your licence. If you have any queries, please contact the PrimeSafe office.