Game Meat Processing
PrimeSafe approves game meat field harvesters and licences game meat processing facilities.
A game meat field harvester is a person approved to conduct field harvesting of game.
A game meat processing facility (harvest vehicle) is a vehicle used in the field harvesting of wild game animals to transport wild game animal carcasses to a game meat processing facility (premises), a game meat processing facility (field depot) or to a pet meat processing facility.
A game meat processing facility (field depot) is a facility (vehicle or premises) in which wild game animal carcasses are held temporarily under refrigeration pending transport to a game meat processing facility (premises) or pet meat processing facility. This may also include the meat carrying compartment of a vehicle used to transport wild game animal carcasses under refrigeration to a game meat processing facility (premises) or pet meat processing facility.
A game meat processing facility (premises) is a facility that processes or packages game meat and/or game meat products.
Licensed abattoirs, further meat processing facilities and poultry processing facilities can also be licensed to use the same facility as a game meat processing facility (premises) provided:
- A game meat processing facility licence is issued;
- Construction and equipment requirements are complied with;
- No game meat processing occurs during the processing of non-game meat; and
- A total clean and sanitation of all process equipment takes place between processing game and non-game animals.
PrimeSafe has released a Wild Game Meat Harvesting Guideline which should be referred to before applying for a licence.
There are three ways to apply for a PrimeSafe licence:
- Fill out the application form in the PrimeSafe Licence Portal by following the instructions in the How to use the Licence Portal link below; or
- Download the application form, print, scan and email it to email@example.com; or
- Fill in the form at the PrimeSafe office.